We Need Your Support for the San Gabriel Mountains, Foothills and Rivers Protection Act!
Background: Seizing on an opportunity to join forces with other public lands bills the House of Representatives and the committee on Natural Resources passed H.R. 803 – Protecting America’s Wilderness and Public Lands (PAW+) Act (H.R. 803, DeGette) on February 26, 2021, a combination of eighteen public lands bills which includes the San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act introduced by Rep. Judy Chu (CA-27).
The San Gabriel Mountains provide 70% of Los Angeles County’s open space, and the need has never been greater for improved visitor services, access to nature for our diverse urban population, and expanded natural resource protection. To address these issues, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands and PAW Act were introduced to:
- Expand the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument by adding approximately 109,143 acres in the upper Los Angeles River watershed;
- Establish the San Gabriel Mountains National Recreation Area for the San Gabriel and San Jose Foothills and the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers comprised of over 51,000 acres;
- Expand Wilderness area designations within the San Gabriel Mountains by 31,069 acres; and
- Designate 45.5 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers in the San Gabriel Mountains.
- Please sign our petition to urge the Senate to pass the Act to ensure our threatened natural resources remain protected, vibrant and accessible to all, now and for future generations.
Please sign the petition, and we encourage you to share with your friends, family, business’ or organizations who value public lands, public health, equity and climate resilience.
Sign the Petition
Submit a Testimonial about your experience in the San Gabriel Mountains
COVID-19 Nature Resources:
Also available in: 中文 (Chinese), Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese), & Español (Spanish)