We Need Your Support for the Protecting America’s Wilderness (PAW) Act!
Background: Seizing on an opportunity to join forces with other public lands bills the House of Representatives and the committee on Natural Resources passed H.R. 2546 – Protecting America’s Wilderness (PAW) Act (H.R. 2546, DeGette) in February 2020, a combination of six public lands bills which includes the San Gabriel Mountains Foothills and Rivers Protection Act.
Update: Protecting America’s Wilderness (PAW) Act is awaiting passage via the The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) which is a “must-pass” legislation for Congress. We need your support to urge members to pass the PAW Act and have the bill signed by the President.
The San Gabriel Mountains provide 70% of Los Angeles County’s open space, and the need has never been greater for improved visitor services, access to nature for our diverse urban population, and expanded natural resource protection. To address these issues, the Protecting Unique and Beautiful Landscapes by Investing in California (PUBLIC) Lands and PAW Act were introduced to:
- Expand the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument by adding approximately 109,143 acres in the upper Los Angeles River watershed;
- Establish the San Gabriel Mountains National Recreation Area for the San Gabriel and San Jose Foothills and the Rio Hondo and San Gabriel Rivers comprised of over 51,000 acres;
- Expand Wilderness area designations within the San Gabriel Mountains by 31,069 acres; and
- Designate 45.5 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers in the San Gabriel Mountains.
- Please sign our petition to urge the Senate to pass the Act to ensure our threatened natural resources remain protected, vibrant and accessible to all, now and for future generations.
Please sign the petition, and we encourage you to share with your friends, family, business’ or organizations who value public lands, public health, equity and climate resilience.